Thursday, March 5, 2015

More Fiction

We have been going over more fiction lately. I must say that I personally like this section more than poetry. However, there are some parts that make me want to tear my eyes out. Though I will not speak of those and save them for another day. There are some gems within the fiction packet that we have been reading. My favorites would have to be The Falling Girl, and August 25, 1983.

I will start with The Falling Girl, the imagery is astounding throughout the piece. But that was not the main reason that I liked the story itself (though I will come back to it, I want to start with this first), the main reason would be the idea behind it. It is whimsical in the sense of taking forever to fall from jumping from the top. There are many different meanings behind all of it, when the younger women are falling faster than Marta, it could represent that life is passing her by, or that it was not her time to go yet. The author has pointed out during this particular part the outfits that Marta is wearing versus what the other girl was wearing. To me it was pointing out the economical differences of the two women and how that no matter what status you are at, you might not be in the best place. Now, to the imagery of The Falling Girl, my particular favorite is when the author is comparing her to a seductive comet. I love looking at comets and they are insanely pretty, so this girl must be pretty in the eyes of the narrator.

August 25, 1983 was a whirlwind. Most of the time I was not sure who was talking to whom, and if it was all real. At first, when I was reading it, I thought of the movie Groundhog Day which the main character repeats the same day over and over again until he broke it. I'm not exactly sure where I got that loop from, but then the second time reading it I realized that it was not what that meant. Maybe it was a time travel like from most science fiction shows. Even with the discussions within class, I feel like the meaning is still out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment