Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Bathhouse Event

On March 18th, there was the bathhouse event. I was unable to attend due to classes being scheduled for the event. During class though, we read some of the two poets' work. Their names are C.A. Conrad and Dawn Lundy Martin. I will  be discussing Martin's work, though, today. I do not know much about the particular poems that I am presented with since they are from a larger book, the title has slipped my mind currently, but they are interested.

I will start with "Violent Rooms." This poem is split between two different sections. In my opinion the sections are connected, but the way I am not so sure. Some students mentioned that someone was giving birth, but I would have to disagree. I do not see it, maybe instead of that it is someone trying to deal with life. Not a particular even to describe the poem, but just their daily life. I think that someone trying to cope with abuse maybe when their were younger, and now that they are grown, they are just trying to piece together the whole picture.

The structure of "The Morning Hour" is different than what I have come across before. I liked the spacing between some words gives emphasis on what she is trying to say. Kind of like she wants you to sink in the words that she is trying to send across for the reader. I also like the use of brackets to separate the different sections, but it made me feel like it was like a time lapse forward. Martin uses strong imagery throughout most of her poems that I have, and I love the fact that she does this. The line that I liked particularly was "Feet thick as throats." This was my favorite line for multiple reasons, when one walks a lot, their feet are swollen (it sucks because this happens to me quite a lot), and is just thick from all the blood. But that line speaks a lot about the character within the poem for it talks about them being on their feet all day, so you can get a sense of their job.

C.A. Conrad is very... exotic. I am not sure what to say about him, but I do like that he isn't afraid to show what the process is like. The poetry exercises are interesting (no, I will not rub a banana on myself... I am so sorry), and it also shows that poetry can come from anywhere and it is up to the person whether they approve to continue with it or not. I think that someone should try them (also, why do they all have to do with being naked? Is that because you're more vulnerable when you are naked?), just to experience it once, because it is an eye opener. I am increasingly intrigued and want to read more from the two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment